Birth Injuries in Houston, Texas
Helping Families Secure the Compensation They Deserve
For parents, there is no greater joy than welcoming a newborn baby into the world. Unfortunately, for some, this joy is eclipsed by the realization that their baby was wrongfully injured at the hands of the medical professionals they put their trust in. While not all birth injuries are severe, others can result in lifelong disabilities. If your child suffered a birth injury that was caused by the negligent actions of a medical professional, you need to secure the knowledgeable legal representation of a birth injury attorney as soon as possible. At Haines Law, P.C., our Houston medical malpractice team of attorneys is dedicated to pursuing a favorable outcome on behalf of every client we serve and will fight to hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions.
Get started on your birth injury case today and contact our law office at (281) 975-0031 to request your free initial case evaluation with one of our compassionate and experienced attorneys.
Examples of Birth Injuries
A number of conditions can develop as a result of a birth injury. Some conditions that commonly occur due to injuries sustained during the delivery process include:
- Brachial Plexus: This condition can develop when the upper extremity of the baby’s arm is injured during delivery. Symptoms associated with this condition include weakness in the affected arm and the inability to use certain muscles in that arm. In some cases, the baby’s shoulder or hand might be affected as well.
- Erb’s Palsy: This condition is a form of brachial plexus and affects the nerves of the upper arm. Infants who suffer from Erb’s palsy will experience weakness in the affected arm and the inability to use certain muscles in the affected arm. Additionally, the infant might also experience weakness in the affected area or, in severe cases, total paralysis.
- Klumpke’s Palsy: This condition is caused by damage to the lower nerves in the arm, which affects the arm, wrists, and fingers. Generally, infants with Klumpke’s palsy experience total paralysis in the affected area and the hand takes on a permanent claw-like form.
- Cerebral Palsy: This condition affects the child’s brain and nervous system. Depending on the severity of this condition, the side effects can range from mild to nearly crippling, turning simple tasks like walking or speaking into an exhausting experience.
- Erb’s Palsy: This condition occurs when the infant’s arm or shoulder is unnaturally twisted or stretched at the arm or shoulder. In severe cases, it can result in total paralysis of the arm.
Causes of Birth Injuries
A vast range of negligent or careless actions during the delivery process or in the moments leading up to delivery can cause a birth injury. Some of the most common causes of birth injuries include:
- Head trauma: One of the most common causes of birth injuries involves trauma to the head, which could ultimately result in damage to the brain and nervous system. This type of injury commonly causes cerebral palsy and other long-term physical and developmental delays.
- Forcible delivery: Oftentimes, when a delivery is particularly difficult, it might require more effort than the mother can give. Therefore, a doctor will have to decide whether to use forceps, a vacuum, or forced pressure to assist with the delivery. Unfortunately, when this occurs, there is an increased risk of injury to the baby, possibly resulting in a brachial plexus injury.
- Delayed delivery: Labor and delivery can be an immensely difficult process and complications can arise quickly and must be responded to in a timely manner. Some of the most common complications that can occur during delivery include macrosomia, cephalopelvic disproportion, or breach. It is imperative that these complications are treated as soon as they are detected to prevent injury to both baby and mother.
- Oxygen deprivation: When the infant’s brain is deprived of oxygen, it can result in Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), which can cause the brain’s tissues to die. It is a common complication and can lead to permanent brain damage if it is not addressed quickly.
Call (281) 975-0031 for Knowledgeable and Aggressive Counsel
If your newborn baby suffered an injury during the delivery process as a result of negligent medical care, you need to hire a birth injury attorney as soon as possible to pursue fair and just compensation for you and your child. At Haines Law, P.C., our Houston birth injury attorneys are prepared to fight on behalf of you and your family to hold all negligent parties accountable for their actions. You should not have to pay for someone else’s mistakes.
Get started on your birth injury case today and contact our law firm at (281) 975-0031 to request your free initial case evaluation with one of our experienced attorneys.