Causes of Truck Accidents
Call a Houston Truck Accident Lawyer: (281) 975-0031
One of the most important questions which need to be answered in the event of an 18-wheeler accident is what caused it. Truck accidents are often more complex compared to regular motor vehicle accidents, and it could be less clear what exactly led up to a crash.
In many cases, several factors are involved. It is imperative to identify all of the extenuating circumstances that resulted in the collision.
At Haines Law, P.C., we can investigate your accident, collect evidence, and determine all of the causes which led up to it. Our Houston personal injury lawyer has a comprehensive understanding of Texas and federal trucking regulations to guide you through the intricacies of the legal system.
How Do Truck Accidents Happen?
Due to the massive size and weight of a semi-truck or 18-wheeler, accidents involving these enormous vehicles are typically devastating. It is common for the cause of truck accidents to involve a combination of factors.
The following are the most causes of truck accidents:
- Truck Driver Error – Driver error is ten times more likely to be the contributing factor to a truck wreck compared to the others, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). Common driving errors include distracted driving, fatigued driving, as well as alcohol and drug abuse.
- Equipment Failure – The second leading cause of 18-wheeler collisions. Companies and drivers are obligated to inspect and maintain their trucks throughout the year. However, these procedures are often ignored, ultimately leading to accidents.
- Negligent Hiring – There are many cases where companies hire drivers who do not have the proper qualifications or possess a poor driving record.
- Improper Loading – When a truck’s load is not distributed or arranged in a safe manner, it can cause an imbalance that could either cause the truck to topple over or the load to pour into the road.
- Weather Conditions – When the roads are wet or icy due to inclement weather, maneuvering a massive truck can be quite a challenge. Large trucks are not capable of stopping as quickly or steering as easily compared to regular cars.
Our Houston Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You
Our legal team understands the complexities of truck accident cases. Whether we reach a settlement inside or outside the courtroom, we will be there every step of the way to ensure you obtain the outcome you desire.
Contact us today to request a free consultation.